Bipolar disorder is a state of mind in which a person experiences mood swings. In theses mood swings they attain two extremes. One in which they feel very energized, happy, and devoted. Another extreme is that on which they feel hopeless, sad, and lost their interest from activities. These two extremes called Mania or Hypomania and Depression. That’s why this mental conditional sometimes also called a Manic Depression.
Mania is the state when a patient feels overconfident, energized, and happy. In this condition, a person makes reckless decisions and also get irritated usually. Some people also face the problems of delusion and hallucination during mania. Hypomania, on the other hand, is a middler form of mania in which they don’t have the states of delusion and hallucination.
In depression, a person feels very sad, hopeless, and lethargic. These episodes of depression make a person feel worthless and all theses things also lead them to thoughts and attempts of suicide.
The thing that makes bipolar disorder different from normal mood swings that these episodes last for several weeks.
Mania and Hypomania both have different kinds of episodes, but the symptoms for both are almost the same. Mania however more severe than Hypomania and suffer sometimes needs to get hospitalized to normalized his state of mind. Some symptoms for mania and hypomania are:
- Abnormal sleep patterns or sleeplessness
- Talk very quick or sometimes unusually
- Get irritated easily
- Poor decision-making
- Excitement, Hopelessness, and happiness
- Sudden change in mood from happy to sad
- Very energized
Depression episodes are also referred to as lows and it’s first diagnosed and treated as clinical depression before you show some symptoms of mania. Some symptoms of depression are:
- Feeling sad, irritable, empty, tearful, worthless and hopeless
- Loss of interest in everything
- Isolates itself
- Increase or decreases of appetite
- Insomnia or too much sleeping
- Suicidal thoughts or talking about suicides
- Unable to concentrate
Types of bipolar disorder:
There are four different types of bipolar disorders which are following
- Bipolar I Disorder: Person would have a mania episode that lasts 1 week followed by hypomania or a major depression attack. In this manic episode, a person might need to get hospitalized. Also, the person might only have severe depression episodes that would last for 2-week at least.
- Bipolar II Disorder: Person would have one depression episode and one hypomanic episode but never would have a manic episode like Bipolar I Disorder.
- Cyclothymic Disorder: Adults would have 2 years and children and teenagers would have 1-year different episodes of depression and hypomania. Depression episodes are less severe than other types.
- Other Types: Patients would have bipolar episodes because of the use of some drugs or because of any other disease.
How it’s like to be in their shoes?
A 30-year man from California in his interview with Healthline told how he deals with his bipolar disorder. He told that mania is the best part of this disorder. In this state, he always tries to make others laugh, full of energy, wants to meet all deadlines. Also, in the mornings do not want more sleep even if he sleeps too late at night. The best part of mania for him is that he becomes too much optimistic. If someone crashes a car in his house he would say “What a great time to build something new!”.
This disorder not only has one pole, and its other pole is not that good. One time you are sitting and talking and full of energy and on the other time you are so depressed that you do not want anyone near you. Whatever you might do, people will consider you wrong, so that’s why they tried to be alone in these episodes of depression.
How it can be treated?
If a person does not treat these episodes of mania it could last for 3 to 6 months and depression could last for 6 to 12 months. With proper medication and precautions, these episodes of Bipolar disorder could improve within 3 months periods. Following treatments would help the person recover.
- By changing the lifestyle like early morning walk, exercise. You can prepare the to-do list for the day so that would give you a scene of achievement when you complete that for the day. Also, improve the diet and try to get 8-hour sleep.
- A person could consult the Psychologist who could help him improve the relationship and tell how to deal with depression and mania episodes.
- Start collecting more information about that disorder so you would better able to understand your condition and get more control over yourself.
- Also, if your episodes are severe, consult a doctor and start medication.
The symptoms may vary over time and from person to person, but mostly bipolar disorder needs lifelong treatment. The treatment plan can help people to improve their work-life balance and help them to improve their life quality.